Sonni Gopal has over 30 years of experience in Workplace HSE and Process Safety Management. After graduating from University of Bradford (1987), he started his professional career as an R&D Process Engineer in the inorganic chemicals manufacturing and has several years of experience within the chemicals manufacturing and energy sector.
Sonni has held positions ranging from HSE/Safety Engineer (HBG Group, Sir Alexander Gibb) to Regional Corporate HSE Manager (W R Grace) and Regional Process Safety Technical Authority (BP).
During his career, Sonni has developed, implemented and managed HSE related strategies, programmes and KPI initiatives for major multi-national organisations. Sonni was responsible for the ISO14001 development, implementation and external certification of the first (Globally) Engineering, Procurement, Construction and Commissioning (EPCC) project within BP, valued in excess of $4Bn (Ref: Wikipedia – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Salah.
Focusing his safety efforts in the chemical manufacturing and energy sector, Sonni has extensive experience in:.
• Leadership Development and Workforce Training – focusing on Humanistic Behaviour, Management Systems, Risk Assessment, Auditing and Gap Analysis.
• Developing and implementing Management Systems based upon international standards and best practices (ISO14001, OHSAS 18001, ISO 45001).
• Developing and implementing Process Safety Management (PSM) systems based upon CCPS Risk Based Process Safety (RBPS) framework or Energy Institute.
• Facilitating (Chairing) Risk Assessments.
• Developing and implementing Operating Procedures.
• Developing and implementing Safe Systems of Work (SSOW)/ Work Practices (i.e., Hot Work, Permit-Required Confined Spaces, Line Break-Process Opening, Permit-to-Work Systems, Energy Control (LOTO) etc.)
• Developing and implementing Incident Investigation procedures and assisting with critical investigations as a Subject Matter Expert (SME).
Sonni is widely respected within the Risk and Safety Discipline/Community for his interpersonal skills, project management, leadership training and development of highly successful training tools and techniques
“Making things simple (or simpler) and creating a community for like minded Risk and Safety Professionals (RASP)”