A welder was grinding near this flow transmitter enclosure. There was a small leak in the transmitter assembly and the enclosure filled with flammable vapors. Vapors escaping the box were ignited by the grinding sparks causing a small explosion which injured the welder and destroyed the transmitter. Operations had performed a gas test in the area before issuing the hot work permit but the leak in the enclosure went undetected.
Start your Hot Work Safely… Work…and you won’t End it with a BANG!
© AIChE | Sponsored by AcuTech